Alprax is a medicine that is prescribed for the short term treatment of anxiety and related disorders. This medicine is generally consumed in the form of tablet or liquid suspension. It is prescribed by doctors to patients having panic disorders and anxiety disorders, or anxiety related depressive disorder.
Alprax is a medicine belonging to the benzodiazepine group of medicines. Benzodiazepine relaxes the brain and the central nervous system, preventing panic attacks. Alprax Tablet is manufactured by Torrent Pharma.
Uses and Benefits of Alprax:
It is used in the treatment of several disorders and mental health issues and may be used for short-term effect in certain cases. It has commonly been found to be prescribed to those who are suffering from:
- Panic disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Anxiety and agitation due to the above disorders or any other problems.
Read More: Myospaz Forte tablet Uses | Penegra 100 mg Tablet Uses
Side Effects of Alprax:
Side-effects are common with Alprax but can be managed with some changes in lifestyle. There are some side-effects that can be a cause for concern, but due to the nature of the medicine, it is best if the patient refrains from stopping the consumption of the medicine straightaway. If it is possible, the patient should consult the doctor first before stopping Alprax or taking any other step.
- Common side-effects that would require some lifestyle changes to manage include loss of coordination in movement, unsteadiness, unusual drowsiness, and altered speech which may be difficult to understand.
- Other common side-effects which can be handled more easily include irregular menstruation cycles, weight loss and decreased appetite in general, increased appetite, and occasional double vision. Some of the side effects include sweating, acidity, and heartburn.
- Blurred vision, pain in urinating, headaches, insomnia, and chest pain are all rare side-effects that should be dealt with by discussion with the physician. They should not be ignored.
- It may cause other problems such as constipation, nausea, light-headedness or depression.
Read More: Cefpodoxime Side Effects | Ceftum Side Effects
Common Dosage of Alprax:
The dosage for this anti-anxiety medication should by decided only by a trained doctor, after learning all the details of the patient’s disorder and their health status. The drug is addictive and can cause problems if patients with a history of addiction use it contrary to doctor’s orders.
The drug should be allowed to dissolve in the mouth instead of swallowing whole or chewing. In case you are taking the liquid suspension form, the patient is advised to measure it properly with a proper measuring cup that usually comes with the bottle.
Read More: Metrogyl 400 Dosage | Ecosprin 75 Dosage
Composition and Nature of Alprax:
Benzodiazepines and Alprax is used to control the level of certain chemicals in the brain that reach an unusual level in depressive and anxious people. Alprax Tablet contains Alprazolam as an active ingredient.
How to use Alprax?
The dose of the Alprax varies from patient to patient. Please post consult a doctor before taking the medicine. The intake of the medicine depends on various other factors such as medical history of the patient, age of the patient, and other related conditions. It can be taken with or without food or shortly after the meal. It is suggested to take it as per doctor’s prescription.
- Alprax 0.5mg Tablet
- Alprax 0.25mg Tablet
- Alprax 1mg Tablet
- Alprax Plus
- Alprax Z
- Alprax Forte
- Alprax0.5mg Tablet SR
How Alprax works?
Alprax contains Alprazolam as the single active ingredient.
Alprazolam binds to the benzodiazepine receptor site on the GABA-A receptor. The GABA is a chemical messenger which subdues the activity of the nerve cells. This finally depresses the central nervous system’s activity.
Related Warnings/Precautions - Whento avoid Alprax?
It can only be used under careful monitoring and with the consultation of the doctor. The patients should inform the doctor about other diseases or conditions that they have, or any other medicine that are being consumed:
- Patients who have epilepsy or disorder causing seizures must be careful.
- Patients who suffer from Glaucoma should not consume Alprax
- Patients with asthma may not be able to use this, as well as those with current or a history of kidney disease or liver disease are advised not to consume Alprax .
- Patients with an allergy to benzodiazepines cannot consume Alprax .
- Patients, who have known addiction to alcohol or drugs, may not be able to consume Alprax, particularly if their addiction has gone untreated.
- Patients who have depression or suicidal tendencies may not find it wise to consume Alprax.
- People consuming Alprax should avoid intake of alcohol or use of narcotics or drugs as it may put them at a risk of severe side-effects.
- It cannot be consumed by pregnant women as it may increase the risk of birth defects. Breastfeeding mothers are also advised to consume a different medicine or stop breastfeeding if possible when consuming Alprax.
- Alprax should be used only for a month (a period of four weeks) when treating insomnia and anxiety. It may become less effective over time.
- Overdose of Alprax is dangerous, and may cause death. Patients consuming the medicine are advised to use it only as per the prescription and after the consultation of the doctor. Double doses of the medicine should not be consumed to make up for the missed dose.
Read More: Nicip plus Precautions | Meftal p Precautions
Substitutes For Alprax:
There are numerous substitutes of Benzodiazepines using the same active ingredient as Alprax. Two of the most common ones are:
- Stressban Tablet manufactured by Lupin Ltd.
- Anxit Tablet manufactured by Micro Labs Ltd.
Alprax Price in India:
Alprax 0.5 mg Tablet 46.1 INR, Alprax 0.25mg Tablet 21.9 INR, Alprax 1mg Tablet 6.3 INR
How to check the expiry date of Alprax:
Check the label of the tablet before using it. Don’t consume if it’s expired.
How to store Alprax?
Keep the blister pack of the Alprax tablet in a cool and dry place where the temperature is between 25-Degree Celsius to 30-Degree Celsius. Keep the medicine in an airtight container.
When Alprax is prescribed?
It is prescribed to treat conditions such as anxiety and panic disorder. This tablet is meant for oral consumption.
Alprax dose for sleep:
Alprax Tablet helps in relieving from sleeplessness. It helps in relaxing the muscles of the body. It also suppresses the abnormal activities of nerve cells in the brain
What should do in case of Alprax sleeping pill overdose
If the person feels drowsy, confused, dizzy, difficulty breathing, and tired then immediately consult the doctor before taking the Alprax tablet. Overdose of the Alprax tablet may cause discomfort and poisoning to the patient, in such case seek immediate medical attention.
- Glaucoma: Alprax increases the fluid pressure inside the eye. Patients suffering from acute narrow- angle glaucoma may have heightened symptoms if they use it.
- Cetirizine: Using either cetirizine or levocetirizine should be avoided. Should the patient consume either of the medicine, then the doctor must be informed so that appropriate dose adjustments are done. If using these medicines concurrently, then do not drive a vehicle or use heavy machinery.
- Opioids: Medicines such as morphine, codeine, tramadol, and most cough syrups should be avoided. The doctor may need to make dose adjustments in case the patients cannot stop taking either medicine. Monitoring of hypotension and sedation may be needed.
- Seizure disorders: When using Alprax, sudden withdrawal may provoke seizures in patients with disorders.
- Metoclopramide: If using Alprax with Metoclopramide then do not drive, and do not use heavy machinery. Inform the doctor so that appropriate dosage changes can be made.
- Alcohol: Consuming alcohol when consuming Alprax increases the risk of depression and breathlessness.
- Grape fruit juice: It should not be consumed with Alprax as high quantities of grapefruit juice may increase the risk of some side-effects.
- Azole antifungal agents: This class of medicine should not be used concurrently with Alprax. There is a high risk of excessive amounts of medicine in the body that can cause intense drowsiness and sedation. Alternative medicines should be considered.
- Antihypertensive: Concurrent use of Alprax and anti-hypertensive may cause side-effects. Monitoring of symptoms like dizziness and rise or drop in the blood pressure is required. The doctor may change the dose or the medicine.
Other medications may also have negative effects if used concurrently with Alprax, such as Ketoconazole, Ritonavir, Erythromycin, Carbamazepine, Fluvoxamine, Itraconazole, and Nefazodone.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1) Can I drive a vehicle after consuming Alprax Tablet?
Ans: The most common side-effect of Alprax is drowsiness and confusion, the patients should assess their state carefully before driving a vehicle or using any other heavy machinery.
2). Is Alprax Tablet safe to take during pregnancy?
Answer. It is not recommended for use during pregnancy.
3). Is this Alprax tablet habit forming?
Ans: Yes, it has been reported to be addictive. It is suggested to take the medicine as per doctor’s prescription.
4). Is it safe to operate heavy or drive during the consumption of Alprax Tablet?
Ans. It is not safe to take the tablet while driving or operating machinery as you may feel sleepy after the consumption of the tablet.
5). Is it safe to take Alprax Tablet?
Ans: Yes it is safe to take Alprax but only after post consulting a doctor.
6). Can I use Alprax tablet to treat mental disorder?
Ans: Yes, it can be used to treat mental disorder.
7). What are the side effects of Alprax Tablet?
Ans: Listed below are the reported side effects of Alprax:
- Dry Mouth
- Memory Problems
- Uncoordinated Body movements
- Slurred Speech
8). Does Alprax tablet cause erectile dysfunction?
Ans. Yes, Alprax cause erectile dysfunction. If the patient experiences erectile dysfunction after consuming it, do not stop the drug without post consulting a doctor.
9). Does it cause weight pain?
Ans. No, it doesn’t cause weight pain. Although, in case the patient suffer weight gain stop taking it.
10). Can I take Alprax tablet for sleeplessness?
Ans. It is not the exact tablet for the treatment of sleeplessness. It may cause anxiety during night. Take the drug after post consulting the doctor.
11). Does Alprax tablet cause low blood pressure?
Ans. Yes, It may cause low blood pressure.
Read More: Cremaffin | Cyclopam | Clavam 625