Augmentin 625 Duo Tablet (amoxicillin/clavulanate potassiuum) is a known medicine in this field. It is commonly used for short term treatment of bacterial infections of respiratory tract, skin and genito-urinary tract. However, augmentin must be taken after consulting a doctor strictly in doses and for duration prescribed. Both shorter and longer term use may cause side effects.
- Nature: Penicillin group antibiotic
- Uses: respiratory tract, ear infection, skin infection, genito-urinary and typhoid
- Composition: Amoxicillin and Potassium Clavulanate
- Side effects: Vomiting, stomach ache and diarrhea
- Precautions: Pregnancy, breastfeeding and alcohol, history of allergy to penicillin or related antibiotics
Uses and Benefits of Augmentin 625:
There are numerous reasons on why Augmentin 625 is prescribed. The main reasons are listed below:
- Ear infection: Augmentin is used to cure ear infection in adults and children. It is prescribed to children who have been treated with other antibiotics like amoxicillin. It is mostly prescribed to those who have suffered ear infections before and were not effectively treated with amoxicillin.
- Skin Infection: Augmentin 625 mg is used to treat skin infections such as cellulitis that is caused by bacteria. In most cases, Augmentin 625 is not the first choice of antibiotic.
- Nose Infection: Augmentin 625 is mainly used to treat nasal and sinus infections in adults and children. Sinusitis is a nasal infection where the nasal activities become swollen and infected. Most doctors prescribe Augmentin 625 Duo as first choice.
- Augmentin 625 for UTI: Augmentin 625 Duo is the first choice antibiotic for urinary tract infection. Augmentin 625 is considered to be a novel antibiotic that is valuable in the oral treatment of UTI caused by multiply resistant bacteria.
- Augmentin 625 dosage for throat infection: Pharyngitis or strep throat occurs when a particular type of bacterial infection causes the tissues behind the mouth to become inflamed or sore.
- Dental Abscess: Augmentin 625 Duo is used to treat any infection arising from the tooth. It is usually prescribed for 5 days taken twice. Patients can continue this medication for at least 5 days.
- Typhoid: This condition can be treated with appropriate course of antibiotics if it is detected in the early stage. As Augmentin contains amoxicillin that is injected into the muscle or vein.
- Lower Respiratory Tract Infection: Amoxicillin is an antibacterial that has been used for treating respiratory tract infections. Often referred as broad-spectrum antibiotic, clavulanate to Amoxicillin, Augmentin 625 is able to treat overcome the resistance that is difficult to treat bacteria.
- Gonorrhoea and associated infections: Amoxicillin is used in treating infections caused by bacteria that are susceptible to the effects of amoxicillin. In gonorrhoea, women experience a discharge from the vagina that causes difficulty in urinating. This condition can infect the genital tract, mouth and rectum and later on affecting fallopian tubes.
- Stomach ulcers: Stomach ulcers are wounds that develop in the stomach lining that causes pain in the abdomen. Augmentin 625 Duo is taken along with clarithromycin that helps in reduction of acid in the stomach. People suffering from liver disease or asthma should communicate about their medical history to their doctors before taking Augmentin 625.
Read More: Unwanted 72 Uses | Sinarest Uses | Caripill Uses
Side Effects of Augmentin 625 Duo:
Every medicine has some side effects. Listed here are a few side effects caused by consuming Augmentin 625:
Read More: Dolo 650 Side Effects | Combiflam Side Effects | Body Check up
Common Dosage of Augmentin 625 Tablet:
Augmentin 625 should be consumed in the dosage and the duration as prescribed by the doctor. You must not chew or break the tablet during consumption. It is supposed to be swallowed as a whole.
It is a good idea to take Augmentin 625 with food. This will help to prevent stomach getting upset.
Composition and Nature of Augmentin 625 mg:
Augmentin 625 is made of two main components:
- Potassium Clavulanate
Precautions and Warnings - When to Avoid Augmentin 625 tablets?
Here are a few warnings or precautions that you must take while consuming Augmentin 625 duo:
- You can consume alcohol with Augmentin 625 tablet. However, the consumption should be limited and should be discontinued in case any discomfort is experienced.
- You can probably take Augmentin 625 tablet during pregnancy or Augmentin 625 during pregnancy. This may not be 100% safe however. There have not been many tests performed on humans for Augmentin 625 Duo and animal studies show low or no adverse effect on the embryo. You must consult your doctor before taking Augmentin 625.
- It is safe to take Augmentin 625 during lactation since studies show that the drug does not pass in the breastfeeding milk in significant amount such that it causes harm to the baby.
- You must not drive if you are feeling unwell. In case you have taken Augmentin 625 and feel dizzy or drowsy, it is not advised to drive.
- If a patient is suffering with kidney disease, then Augmentin should be avoided. Always consult your doctor before taking Augmentin 625.
- In case of a liver disease, there has to be a dose adjustment, before taking Augmentin 625 Duo. A doctor can help with the same.
Please note that the warnings and precautions may vary person to person depending on the medical conditions.
Substitutes of Augmentin 625 Duo:
Here are a few substitutes of Augmentin 625 duo:
- Axis Labs Pvt Ltd.’s Axcve 625 Mg Tablet
- Manufactured by Profess Health Products P Ltd, Kilban Tablet
- Symbiotik Xl Plus 500 Mg/125 Mg Tablet produced by Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Emami Frank Ross Ltd’s Clamross-CV 625 Duo Tablet
- Produced by Apostle Remedies is Penom Clav 500 Mg/125 Mg Tablet
- Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd’s manufactured Acuclav 625 Tablet
Augmentin 625 Interactions with Other Drugs:
- Alcohol: Interaction of Augmentin 625 with alcohol is unknown.
- Lab test: Consumption/ use of Augmentin 625 mg must be reported before performing any test.
- Food: There is no data available on the interaction of Augmentin 625 with food.
- Disease: In case of Mononucleosis, Colitis and Renal Diseases Augmentin 625 has moderate effect. However, you should inform your doctor about these diseases before starting the course of Augmentin 625 Duo. If you do not feel well after taking Augmentin 625, you should immediately report your doctor about the same.
- Medicine: Augmentin 625 mg has moderate interactions with Doxycycline, Warfarin, and Ethinyl Estradiol medicines. It has a major interaction with Methotrexate and hence must be avoided or consumed, strictly, as per prescribed by the doctor.
Augmentin 625 Price in India:
Medicine : Augmentin 625 Duo
Price : Rs. 151 per strip
How Augmentin 625 Duo tablet Works?
Amoxicillin works by binding to penicillin-binding proteins which are present within the bacterial cell wall . The medicine inhibits the synthesis of bacterial cell wall. Clavulanic acid is a β-lactam which is structurally related to penicillin, it works by inactivating certain β-lactamase enzymes.
How to use Augmentin Tablet?
It is advised take the medicine as directed by the doctor. Augmentin 625 is available in three forms viz. syrup, tablets and extended-release tablets. Augmentin 625 mg Tablet can be taken with or without food. The dosage of Augmentin is as per the prescription and differs according to the age and severity of the medical condition.
One should avoid taking Augmentin 625 MG Tablet if he or she is allergic to any penicillin based antibiotic. Amoxicillin can make the contraceptive pills less functional, so women should consult their concerned doctors about using non-hormonal birth control pills to prevent pregnancy during the course of the treatment. In case of breastfeeding, consult with the doctor as it may be harmful to the baby. Before starting the medication, patients should discuss with doctors about their past medical history, what medications they are taking at present and if they are about to undergo any surgery.
It is advised to swallow Augmentin 625 and it should be taken along with the water or other liquid. Do not take Augmentin 625 Duo on an empty stomach as it may cause loose motions. However, it is effective even if taken without food. Patients should maintain a gap of at least 12 hours.
When Augmentin 625 is prescribed?
- Ear Infection: Augmentin 625 is used in curing infections in the middle ear that are caused by Streptococci and Staphylococci strains of bacteria.
- Nose Infection: Augmentin 625 Duo Tablet helps in curing the infections of the throat that causes Tonsillitis and Pharyngitis caused by Streptococci and Staphylococci strains of bacteria.
- Lower respiratory tract infection: Augmentin 625 is an antibacterial that is used in the treatment of respiratory tract infections like bronchitis, flu and pneumonia.
- Urinary Tract Infection: Augmentin 625 is an effective antibiotic that is administered orally for the treatment of urinary tract infections that are caused by resistant bacteria. It is also used for treating urinary tube, cystitis and kidneys.
- Typhoid: Augmentin 625 Duo is used in curing typhoid and paratyphoid fever. The result of the in vitro antibiotic sensitivity test isolates the S.thphi was resistant to cetriaxone, amipicillin and Augmentin 625 were used in curing typhoid fever.
Medicines that should not be taken with Augmentin 625:
Drug interaction is a reaction that occurs between two or more medicines when they are taken together for treating a disease. These interactions may increase or decrease the effectiveness of the other drug, causing unwanted side effects, or death in some cases.
Here is a list of medicines that should be avoided while taking Augmentin 625:
- Doxycycline: The consumption of Augmentin 625 along with Doxycycline should be avoided and immediately reported to the doctor.
- Methotrexate: If a person is using Augmentin 625 along with Methotrexate should be reported to the doctor. It is advised to monitor the levels of the medicine along with symptoms of toxicity while both these medicines are being taken.
- Warfarin: If the patient is taking Warfarin along with Augmentin 625, he should communicate with the doctor. It is advised to monitor the clotting time.
- Ethinyl Estradiol: If this medicine is taken along with Augmentin 625, it will decrease the effectiveness of oral contraceptive pills that may lead to unplanned pregnancies.
How to store Augmentin 625 Duo tablet?
It is suggested to store Augmentin 625 Duo tablet in the original package to protect it from moisture. The powder form should be stored in the container, not exceeding above 25 °C.
Reconstituted suspensions should be stored at 2 °C – 8 °C for up to seven days. Augmentin 625 should be kept out of the reach of children. Do not throw away any medicines in wastewater or household waste. Always talk to the pharmacist as to how to throw away medicines that are not used anymore. This can help in protecting the environment.
Suspension form of Augmentin 625 Duo:
The Augmentin 625 suspension may cause sinusitis due to β-lactamase that produces organisms, lower respiratory and UTI.
Do not use Augmentin-Duo Suspenion after the expiry date which is written on the packaging.
Augmentin 625 FAQs:
1) Can I drive after consuming Augmentin 625 Duo tablet?
Ans: Yes, it is usually safe but, if you feel dizzy or nauseous after taking Augmentin 625, you should not drive a car.
2) Is Augmentin 625 safe during pregnancy?
Ans: Augmentin is one of the safer drugs that can be consumed during pregnancy, but it is advisable to always start the drug in consultation with the doctor.
3) In what conditions Augmentin is used for?
Ans: The medicine may be prescribed for the treatment of conditions such as ear infection, nose and sinus infection, throat infection and respiratory tract infection.
4) I am allergic to certain medicines. Is Augmentin 625 safe for me?
Ans: If you are allergic to a few medicines, you should consult your doctor before taking Augmentin 625. You must also check the composition of the medicine as mentioned on the pack of the medicine. By reading the same, you would know the composition of medicine and if there are components, which you are allergic to, then you should strictly avoid taking Augmentin 625.
5) How do I know about any side effects caused by Augmentin 625 Duo?
Ans: The common side effects associated with the consumption of the medicine may include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, skin reaction. If the patient experiences these symptoms or any other symptom he/she must consult the doctor
6) What is the common usage of Augmentin 625?
Ans: Gonorrhoea and associated infections: Augmentin 625 is used in the treatment of Gonorrhoea and associated infections in the urinary tube and the region around the reproductive organs in both genders.
Dental Abcess: Augmentin 625 Duo is used in treating gum infections that are caused due to pus around the roots of the tooth.
Endocarditis: Augmentin is used in the prevention of Endocarditis, where the inner walls of the heart get inflamed. In this condition, the high dosage of clavulanate cures endocarditis due to the methicillin-resistant strains of S.aureus.
7) How can I control the side effects caused by Augmentin 625 Duo tablet?
Ans: A patient should immediately stop taking augmentin and contact their doctor if he or she experiences the following side effects such as: skin reaction, hives, nausea and seizures. Some of the rare side effects that are reported with these tablets are: colitis, nephritis and hepatitis.
One should tell their doctor about the occurrence of any of these above mentioned side effects.
8) What does Augmentin 625 look like?
Ans: This tablet comes in white to off white oval shaped tablets. It contains 500mg of amoxicillin, 125mg of clavulanic acid. It is debossed with AC and a line on one side while it is plain on the other side. They are available in blister packs of 10 tablets.
9) What are the three different forms of Augmentin?
Ans: Augmentin 625 Duo Tablet comes in three forms, namely liquid suspension, immediate release tablet and extended-release tablet.
It is available in different strengths:
- Immediate-release tablet: 250 mg/125 mg, 500 mg/125 mg, 875 mg/125 mg
- Extended-release tablet: 1,000 mg/62.5 mg
- Liquid suspension: 125 mg/31.25 mg per 5 mL, 250 mg/62.5 mg per 5 mL
For the strengths mentioned above, the first number is the amoxicillin amount and the second number is the clavulanic acid amount. The ratio of drug to drug is different for each strength that cannot be substituted for another.
10) Can Augmentin 625 be crushed?
Ans: Yes, you can crush the medicine. But, its variant Augmentin XR should not be crushed. If either of them has a score line, they can be split into two parts. If you have trouble in swallowing the tablet, then ask your doctor to give you its suspension form.
Read More: Azithral 500 | Meftal Spas | Cetirizine Tablet | Unienzyme