Azax 500 MG Tablet belongs to macrolides class of antibiotic drugs. It works by killing bacteria and is used to treat various bacterial infections. It is manufactured and marketed by and Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd. It is an over-the-counter medicine and can be purchased without a formal prescription from a doctor. However, in case an individual is already on some medication or is suffering from some health disorders, it is vital to consult a doctor before starting a course of Azax 500.
- Nature of Azax 500 MG Tablet: Antibiotic
- Composition of Azax 500 MG Tablet: Azithromycin
- Uses of Azax 500 MG Tablet: Ear infection, skin infection, soft tissue infections
- Side-effects of Azax 500 MG Tablet: Heartburn, Dizziness, Fever, Stomach cramps
- Precautions: Should be avoided by people suffering from lung disorders, depression, heart related issues
Azax 500 MG Tablet contains Azithromycin as its main component. Azithromycin prevents the growth of unwanted and drug-resistant bacteria. Therefore, the medicine is prescribed for various bacterial infections such as pneumonia, skin infections, nasal infections, urinary tract infections, stomach ulcers, etc.
Uses and Benefits of Azax:
Azax 500 MG Tablet is used for the treatment of the following infections and diseases:
- Ear infection: Also known an Otitis Media, this includes inflammation of the ear, ringing in the ears, loss of balance, headache.
- Pharyngitis/Tonsilitis: An inflammation of the throat caused by bacteria (is often aggravated by smoking). Most common symptoms of pharyngitis include difficulty in swallowing, cough, fever, runny nose.
- Gonococcal Urethritis – It is an inflammation of the urethra, usually caused by an STD.
- Cervicitis – It is an inflammation of the cervix. This may be caused by infections or allergies.
- Urinary tract infections – It is an infection in any part of the urinary system, Kidneys (pyelonephritis) and bladder (cystitis).
- Skin and soft tissue infections
- Community acquired pneumonia – This impairs lung function and causes fever, cough and chest pain.
- Cat Scratch disease – It is a bacterial infection that affects lymph nodes that empty the sites of inoculation.
- Tonsillitis, sinusitis and bacterial bronchitis.
- Stomach ulcers caused by the bacteria Helicobacter pylori.
Read More: Prega news Uses | zerodol sp Uses | Natak Uses
Side Effects of Azax:
The most common side effects of Azax 500 MG Tablet are:
- Aggressive behavior
- Stomach cramps
Some of the more serious and rare side effects of Azax 500 that need immediate medical attention are:
- Dry Skin
- Painful Urination
- Sour stomach
- Excess gas in the stomach
- Joint pain
- Change in taste
- Tooth discoloration
- Flaky skin
- Abdominal pain
- Blurred vision
- Hearing problems
- Allergic reactions like rashes, swelling, trouble breathing, lightheadedness
Read More: Montek lc Side Effects | Lacto Calamine Side Effects | Myoril Side Effects
Common Dosage of Azax 500:
The level of dosage varies upon the age, physical condition, weight and medical history of the patient. Usual prescribed dose of Azax 500 is one time a day for a period of three days.
The leaflet available with medicine should be read properly or a doctor should be consulted before consuming Azax.
In case of a missed dose, Azax 500 should be consumed as soon as possible. However, if it is coinciding with the time of next dose, one must skip the missed dose and continue with the regular schedule.
In case of an overdose, one must immediately seek attention of a certified medical practitioner. If someone experiences some side effets after the consumption of Azax 500, they must immediately consult an expert physician.
Read More: Taxim o Dosage | Himalaya confido Dosage
Composition & Nature of Azax 500:
The active ingredient of Azax is azithromycin. It belongs to the class of macrolide – a type of antibiotic and a derivative of erythromycin.
Azithromycin works by blocking the growth of drug-resistent bacteria. Typically, doctors prescribe the dose of Azax depending upon the overall dealth conditions of the patient and the severity of the condition.
Read More: Monocef o Composition | Zifi Composition | Mulethi Composition
Azax 500 Price in India:
- Azax 500 mg (3 Tablets): 70.89 INR
How to Use Azax 500 MG Tablet?
- The medicine can be taken with or without food.
- The dose prescribed for adults is 500 mg once a day for the course of 3 days.
- For children, the usual dose is 10mg/kg of the body weight. Azax 500 should be consumed once a day and it should be continued for 3 days.
- The course of medicine may vary depending on the condition and its severity.
- The medicine should not be consumed without consulting a doctor. The course should be finished as prescribed by a medical practitioner.
- If used on regular basis, the effectiveness of Azax 500 may decline.
- If the suspension form of Azax 500 is used, then a proper measuring device should be used instead of a regular spoon or cup.
- Azax 500 should be shaken well before use.
How Azax 500 Works?
Azithromycin, the active ingredient of Azax 500 MG Tablet, blocks the synthesis of the vital proteins that bacteria needs to perform important functions; consequently retarding the growth of the bacteria. This is how Azax stops the infection from spreading in the body.
Warnings/Precautions- When to avoid Azax 500 MG Tablet?
- Lung disorders
- Heart related problems
- Respiratory depression
- General depression
- Kidney disorders or myasthenia gravis
Azax 500 must not be taken if one is allergic to medicines like:
One must not drive or operate heavy machinery under the influence of Azax 500 as it may induce drowsiness or dizziness.
Azax should not be consumed by pregnant or breastfeeding woman. Children must not be given Azax without prior consultation with a pediatrician.
Substitutes for Azax 500:
- Azento 500 mg by Alkem Laboratories Ltd
- Azipro 500 mg by Cipla Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Aziwork 500 mg by Wockhardt Ltd
- Azitrade 500 mg by Zovaitalia Bio Tech
- Azisuper 500 mg by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Lez 500 mg by Hetero Drugs Ltd
- Azicin 500 mg by Biological E Ltd
- Azicip 500 mg by Cipla Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Zomycin 500 mg by Cipla Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Azimark 500mg by Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Azee 500mg by Cipla Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Azorik 500 mg by Usv Ltd
- Ozicin 500 mg by Lupin Ltd
- Zeethrom 500 mg by Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Azax 500 Interactions
Azax 500 MG Tablet, when taken along with some other medicines, food or during some illness, may interact and produce some undesirable effects. Hence, it is suggested to avoid the use of medicines in such conditions.
Here is a list of interactions:
Azax 500 Drug interactions:
Azax 500 MG Tablet when taken along with other drugs may interact and result in neutralization of effects of the medicines or may worsen the present medical condition. Hence, it is suggested to check the interaction results before consuming the medicine.
Here is a list of drugs with which Azax 500 may interact:
- Nelfinavir: The medicine is used in the treatment of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. When Nelfinavir interacts with Azax 500, it increases the level of Azax in the body and result in hearing issues and liver enzyme abnormalities.
- Antacids: Antacids maintain the acid levels in the stomach. When Azax 500 is taken along with antacids, it reduces the level of antacids in the blood. To avoid such complication, it is advisable to consume Azax an hour or two before taking a dose of antacids.
- Anticoagulants: Anticoagulants prevents the formation of blood clots. When Azax 500 interacts with anticoagulants such as warfarin, it increases the time of blood clotting. When consuming both the medicines together, one must monitor the prothrombin time (test to evaluate the time of coagulation) carefully.
- Ergotamine: This medicine is prescribed for migraine type headache. Azax, when interacts with Ergotamine derivatives, may cause ergotism (cereal grasses) and fungal infections. Hence, it is advisable not to combinely use these medicines. Special instructions should be followed when Ergotamine is being consumed along with Azax 500.
- Cisapride: Azax 500 is prescribed to treat symptoms of heartburn that results due to gastroesophageal reflux disease. Azax, when interacts with Cisapride, causes arrhythmia (abnormally fast heart rhythms) and prolonged heartbeat, also referred to as QT interval prolongation and torsades de pointes. These medicines should not be combined and if is being combined then the patient’s heart condition should be monitored regularly.
- Rifabutin: It is an antibiotic prescribed for the treatment of tuberculosis (TB). When Azax 500 interacts with this medicine, it reduces the number of white blood cells also referred to as neutropenia. Special precautions must be taken while combining both these drugs and the blood count of the patient should be monitored on a regular basis.
- Atorvastatin: Azax 500 is prescribed to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood. The risk of breakdown of muscle tissues increases when Azax is consumed along with Atorvastatin. This condition is also termed as rhabdomyolysis. Patients are advised to follow precautions when using both these drugs combinely.
- Cyclosporin: Azax 500 MG Tablet is prescribed to people who have recently undergone organ transplantation. Azax is used to prevent organ rejection by the body. When Cyclosporin interacts with Azax 500, it elevates the level of Cyclosporin in the blood. Hence, it is advised to monitor the level of cyclosporin levels in the blood and dose adjustment should be done, if required.
- Zidovudine: Azax 500 is prescribed to treat human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) related concerns. Azax 500, when interacts with zidovudine, elevates the level of zidovudine in blood cells with a round nucleus. This is also termed as peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Patients are advised to follow guidelines provided by a medical practitioner, in order to avoid any kind of complications.
- Digoxin: Azax 500 is used to treat several heart conditions. Azax 500, when interacts with Digoxin, increases the level of digoxin in the blood. Hence, it is advised to monitor the level of digoxin regularly. Also, special instructions should be followed when Azax is being consumed along with Digoxin.
- Fluconazole: Azax 500 MG Tablet is used to treat and prevent fungal infections. Fluconazole, when interacts with Azax 500, reduces the level of Azax 500 in the blood. Hence, it is suggested to consume both the medicines at a specific time interval. Also, special instruction should be followed by the patients consuming both medicines.
- Colchicine: Azax 500 is used to treat swollen, red, painful and hot joints. This condition is also referred to as Gout. Azax 500, when interacts with Colchicine, elevates the level of colchicine in the blood. It is advised to take precautions when consuming both the drugs together.
Azax 500 Diseases interactions:
Azax 500 when consumed by patients suffering from a certain diseases or medical condition might worsen the condition. To avoid such conditions, the medical practitioner should be informed about present and past conditions.
Here is a list of diseases and disorders when Azax should be avoided or taken with precautions.
- Allergy: Patient susceptible to any kind of allergy should consume Azax 500 MG Tablet with caution. It may result in serious allergic reactions such as swelling of the inner layer of skin, anaphylaxis and skin reactions.
- Liver damage: Patients with history or present condition of liver damage should avoid the use of medicine as it increases the risk of inflammation of liver damage, liver cell injury, reduction in the flow of liver secretions, liver failure, abnormal liver functioning.
- Bacterial associated diarrhea (CDAD): Use of antimicrobial agents increases the growth of Clostridium difficile bacteria in an intestine. If bacterial-associated diarrhea occurs then Azax should be discontinued and a doctor should be consulted.
- Skeletal muscle weakness: Patients suffering from skeletal muscle weakness are at increased risk of serious side effects. This may result in worsening or increases the case of recurrence in a patient with a history of the same.
- Sexually transmitted infections: Patients suffering from STDs such as urethritis, syphilis, cervicitis, etc. should avoid Azax or start taking the medicine after undergoing a complete blood test. Azax 500 when taken in case of STDs makes the patient vulnerable to other health conditions as well.
Azax 500 Lab test interactions:
Azax 500 when taken before a lab test may interfere with the test leading to false positive results. An individual when undergoing a lab test should inform the lab professional in advance regarding the ongoing health conditions.
Medicines that should not be taken with Azax 500 MG Tablet:
- BCG Live (Theracrys)
- Aluminium Hydroxide/Magnesium Hydroxide
- Blood thinners such as acernocoumarol, warfarin, and heparin
- Ergotamine and dihydroergotamine
- Protease inhibtors
- Azole Antifungals
How to store Azax 500?
- Azax 500 must be stored at a temperature between 15-30°C (59-86° F).
- Azax must be stored in a dry place.
- Azax 500 must not be exposed to direct heat and light.
- Azax must be kept away from the reach of children and pets.
- Azax 500 should be stored away from moisture. Hence, it should not be stored in the bathroom and storage close to sink.
- Azax 500 should not be flushed or poured in the drain as it may contaminate the environment.
- Azax 500 has expired, then it should be disposed properly. The disposal instructions should be asked from a medical practitioner or a pharmacist.
1) How to store Azax 500 MG Tablet?
Ans: Azax 500 MG Tablet is advised to store Azax in a cool and dry place, away from any potential exposure to light and the reach of children and pets. Storing it in an air-tight container is recommended.
2) Is Azax 500 MG Tablet safe to use during pregnancy?
Ans: Consuming Azax 500 MG Tablet during pregnancy is not recommended. However, you are advised to contact your doctor for case-specific advice.
3) What is Azax 500 MG Tablet used for?
Ans: Azax 500 MG Tablet is used to treat a wide range of bacterial infections. Azax 500 should not be consumed in case of viral infections including flu and common cold. Misuse or unnecessary use of any antibiotic can result in decreased effectiveness of the medicine. Azax 500 belongs to the category of macrolide-type antibiotic and it works by inhibiting the growth of hazardous bacteria.
4) What are the side effects of Azax 500 MG Tablet?
Ans: Some of the common side effects of Azax 500 MG Tablet are mentioned below:
- Loose stools
- Stomach discomfort
Read More: Evion lc | Livogen | Mucaine Gel | Mucinac 600