Many fungi and bacteria of different types live and grow on the skin, belly, and mouth of a person. Most are not dangerous. In fact, the body requires many of them to perform normal functions. There are some types of fungi and bacteria that can cause infections when they start to grow without any control. The Candida fungus is a harmful organism. When there is an overgrowth of this fungus then it can lead to an infection. This infection is known as candidiasis. Candidiasis includes vaginal yeast infections, invasive infections of the bloodstream, and oral yeast infections.
Cutaneous candidiasis is an infection of the skin and nails occur due to Candida fungus. Cutaneous candidiasis is also known as candidiasis of the skin. In this infection, people generally get a red and itchy rash. This rash can reach to the other organs of the body. The possible symptoms of cutaneous candidiasis are a rash, redness, itchiness, sore and cracked skin, and more. The symptoms of cutaneous candidiasis can be troublesome and they can be treated with the help of proper hygiene and antifungal powders or creams. Candidiasis of the skin generally develops in the folds of the skin including the areas between the fingers, under the breasts, in the groin, and in the armpits. Though, it can develop on various parts of the body. Babies can also get this condition of candidiasis, mostly on the buttocks due to the use of diapers. It is not a contagious condition. Though there is a possibility that a person with a weakened immune system may get the cutaneous candidiasis by touching the skin of the infected person. Those people who have a weakened immune system are more prone to severe infections due to cutaneous candidiasis. This condition generally grows in moist and warm areas. That is why the skin folds are generally affected due to this condition.
Check out some of the common symptoms or signs of cutaneous candidiasis:
- The most common sign of cutaneous candidiasis is a rash on the skin.
- People may experience itchiness due to the rash which can be red in colour.
- Sometimes, the skin can become sore and cracked due to this skin infection.
- There is a possibility that pustules and blisters can appear.
- Generally, this skin infection develops in the skin folds but it can affect many parts of the body. Skinfold areas include portions between the fingers, under the breasts, in the groin, and in the armpits.
- You may also notice this skin infection in the nails, the nails edges, and the mouth corners.
The condition of candidiasis resemble the conditions of hives, ringworm, herpes, contact dermatitis, diabetes-related skin conditions, eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, and psoriasis.
Candidiasis of the skin occurs when Candida fungi infect the skin. Candida fungi actually live on the skin but in a very small amount. But sometimes Candida fungi can overgrow uncontrollably leading to an infection. This condition of candidiasis is more prone to occur in the following circumstances:
- When the weather is hot.
- When people wear tight and uncomfortable clothes.
- When people maintain poor hygiene.
- When people do not change their undergarments frequently.
- When people have overweight.
- When people take corticosteroids or other medicines that can affect the immune system.
- A weakened immune system due to pregnancy, diabetes, or other medical problem.
- When people take antibiotics to kill those bacteria which are harmless which keep Candida fungi under control.
- When people do not dry completely their damp and wet skin.
You should reach out to the best doctor as soon as you experience the symptoms of cutaneous candidiasis for the diagnosis. Your doctor can easily recognise that you have candidiasis of the skin after performing a physical examination. During the physical examination, they will check the physical appearance of your skin and the location of your rash. Skin culture may be performed by your doctor before confirming the condition of candidiasis. In the skin culture, a cotton swab will be rubbed over your affected area and then a skin sample will be collected by your doctor. This skin sample will be sent to a laboratory for testing. This laboratory test will tell if you have the problem of cutaneous candidiasis.
Check out various ways that will help you to get prevention from cutaneous candidiasis:
- You should practice good hygiene.
- You should not wear tight and uncomfortable clothes.
- You should avoid certain medicines such as antibiotics that can lead to candidiasis.
- You should do physical exercises daily and have a healthy and balanced diet to boost your immune system.
- You should reduce the intake of dietary sugars.
- If your clothes are wet or sweaty then you should change them immediately.
- You should not take very hot baths.
- You should not use those sprays, soaps, tampons, and pads which are scented.
- You should not douche as doing so can remove the healthy bacteria from your vagina.
Genital candidiasis is also known as a genital yeast infection. Majority of women get a yeast infection at least once in their lifetime. This condition occurs when a lot of yeast develops in the vagina. Men can also develop a genital yeast infection but women are more prone to this condition. A genital yeast infection can occur due to diabetes, pregnancy, certain medicines, a weakened immune system, spermicides, or lubricants. A genital yeast infection can transmit from one person to another during sexual intercourse.
Check out some of the common symptoms or signs of genital candidiasis:
- Women with genital candidiasis generally experience severe itching in the vagina.
- Pain can be experienced during peeing.
- People may have a discomfort during sex.
- There can be a white, thick discharge from the vagina.
- There can be swelling and redness in the vulva and vagina.
- Men may have an itchy rash on the penis.
A genital yeast infection occurs when a lot of yeast develops in the vagina. This condition can also occur due to an injury to the inner vagina which can happen after chemotherapy. Those women who have a compromised immune system are more to this condition than those who have a normal immune system. Diabetes, taking oral contraceptives, and pregnancy are some of the conditions that can cause a woman to develop vaginal yeast infections. A vaginal yeast infection can also occur through the use of douches or fragranced vaginal hygiene sprays.
Your doctor can easily diagnose the condition of a genital yeast infection through your signs or symptoms. The symptoms help to understand the exact cause of a genital yeast infection. In order to confirm the diagnosis, your doctor may take the sample of your discharge for testing purpose. It can be tested in the lab either by direct exam under a microscope or by culture to find out the yeast organisms and to know the exact cause.
Check out various ways that will help you to get prevention from genital candidiasis:
- You should keep your genitals dry and clean.
- You should avoid certain medications.
- You should practice good hygiene.
- You should avoid using fragranced sprays in the vagina for hygiene.
- You should have a healthy and balanced diet and involve yourself in physical exercise to boost the immune system.
- You should wear loose-fitting clothes.
Oral Candidiasis is also known as thrush. In this medical condition, a fungus of yeast shape known as Candida albicans overgrows in the throat and mouth. This condition can develop due to pregnancy, a weakened immune system, illness, smoking, medicines, or dentures. This problem is not harmful usually and it is quite common in infants and newborns. This condition can be diagnosed through a clinical examination conducted by a dentist or physician. The treatment that is provided depends on the cause and severity of the case. The treatment options include systemic medications, oral medications, and home remedies.
Check out some of the common symptoms or signs of oral candidiasis:
- White patches appear in the inner cheeks, mouth, palate, tongue, and throat.
- People may experience soreness in the teeth.
- People with oral candidiasis may have unpleasant or strange taste in the mouth.
- There can be redness under the white patches.
- People may have dry mouth due to oral candidiasis.
- People with oral thrush may experience a bad breath.
- People may have a feeling that the food is stuck in a sore throat or throat.
- People may have a cracking at the outer edges of their lips.
The condition of thrush occurs due to an overgrowth of Candida fungus in the mouth or throat. This condition can develop due to illness, taking new medicines, changes in the immune system, and pregnancy. This condition is common in infants and newborns. You should immediately reach out to a paediatrician if an infant is suffering from thrush for more than a couple of weeks.
A physician or dentist conducts a clinical examination to diagnose the condition of a thrush. The doctor may do a scrapping in order to confirm the diagnosis or to get the answer to the question about whether the white patches have occurred due to Candida fungus. Only a small quantity of white matter is taken from the throat or mouth to check it under a microscope and look at the yeast-shaped fungi. Thrush which is in the oesophagus or down the throat is found with the help of an endoscopy. In endoscopy, your doctor passes a tiny camera through the back of your throat into the abdomen and into the throat to notice the tissue and collect samples. If your doctor found the white lesions then they may be scraped or biopsied in order to confirm the diagnosis. Generally, the gastroenterologist performs this medical procedure.
- You should not smoke.
- You should have a healthy and balanced diet.
- You should use a soft toothbrush for brushing the teeth.
- You should not use mouthwash as it can change the normal flora of your mouth.
- You should rinse your mouth with the warm salt water.
- You should visit a dentist frequently.
- You should keep control over your sugar level.
- You should not take antibiotics unless they are prescribed by your physician.
- You should floss and brush your gums and teeth daily.
- It is important that you maintain proper oral hygiene to reduce the chances of developing oral candidiasis.
- You should keep your dentures clean and meet a dentist if they do not fit properly.
- You should rinse your mouth with a diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide solution.
- What is candidiasis? What are the various types of candidiasis?
- What are the signs or symptoms of cutaneous candidiasis, genital candidiasis, and oral candidiasis?
- What are the causes of cutaneous candidiasis, genital candidiasis, and oral candidiasis?
- How are cutaneous candidiasis, genital candidiasis, and oral candidiasis diagnosed?
- How are cutaneous candidiasis, genital candidiasis, and oral candidiasis prevented?
Then you are in the right place. Please refer to the above-mentioned information in order to get answers to all your questions.
Disclaimer : Docprime doesn’t endorse or take any guarantee of the accuracy or completeness of information provided under this article and these are the views strictly of the writer. Docprime shall not be held responsible for any aspect of healthcare services administered with the information provided on this article.