This is a blood test that is used to examine any inflammation in this body. Erythrocyte, commonly known as red blood cells have a natural tendency to fall to the bottom of a tube due to its density. This fast and safe test measures the rate at which the red blood cells fall to the bottom of a blood sample placed in a tube.
Why get tested?
The erythrocyte sedimentation rate is used to monitor and diagnose any undiagnosed or unexplained illness characterized by inflammation in the body. It is generally used for diagnosing arthritis, skin infections, kidney ailments, unexplained fever, and muscle pain.
What it measures?
This test measures the erythrocyte sedimentation rate which tells how quickly the red blood cells settle at the bottom of a blood sample placed in a tube. It helps-
1. To diagnose any inflammation in the body
2. To detect the extent of an inflammatory disease
3. To assess the reaction of the body to the course of adopted treatment to reduce inflammation.
This test includes
Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR)
· This is a simple blood test. Thus, it does not require any special preparation.
· However, the patient is advised to inform the doctor about any medical dosage or herbal supplements that he/she is administering.