General physicians are well-trained specialists who provide a wide array of non-surgical health care services to the patients. The extensive knowledge and proficiency differentiate general physicians from other specialists who only limit their practice to the problems involving a particular body system.
A general physician is the first doctor a patient sees. The doctor usually prescribes medication after understanding the patient’s symptoms. Usually, patients get relief from the medicines. However, if the symptoms are not alleviated, the doctor may refer the patient to a specialist. A general physician usually works in hospitals and monitors the health of hospitalized patients. Also, general physicians have private clinics where they are more approachable.
Roles of a General Physician:
- Proper diagnosis: Unlike other specialists, general physicians are able to give a comprehensive and correct assessment of the medical condition. This is so because; good general physicians thoroughly analyze the symptoms and prescribe medicines to alleviate the discomfort. In case the patients do not see improvement in their condition, the doctor may ask them to undergo certain diagnostic tests. The tests help the physician to understand if the problem is being caused due to an underlying condition or not. If yes, then the patients may be referred to particular specialists.
- Administer Vaccinations: Vaccinations are important to boost the immune system and keep it safe against various diseases and infections. The vaccine prevents people from infections such as measles, mumps, whooping cough, hepatitis etc. General physicians are the medical practitioners who administer these vaccinations in the children and adults.
- Pre and post-operative care: Though general physicians do not carry out surgeries, they have a major role to play in conducting an operation. The best general physicians monitor the condition of the patient both before and after the surgery. Before undergoing the surgical treatment, general physicians ensure that the patient is stable and is fit enough to undergo the operation. After the treatment, the general physician keeps a strict check on the health status of the patient. They prescribe medicines to alleviate the infections and discomfort that may occur after the surgery.
What do general physicians treat?
General physicians provide treatment for various diseases and conditions –
- Fever: Not all fevers are a result of a serious underlying condition. Sometimes fevers are also caused due to mild viral or bacterial infections. In such cases, a general physician prescribes medicines after proper diagnosis.
- Common cold and cough: Common cold is a viral infection while a persistent cough can be a sign of a bacterial infection. A good general physician understands the underlying cause and advice the right course of treatment to treat the condition.
- Endocrine diseases: General physicians prescribe medicines to treat common lifestyle diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, obesity and thyroid. The doctors also suggest lifestyle changes that must be incorporated to cure the condition.
- Stomach infections: Some of the common signs of stomach infections include stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea, gas and uneasiness. General physicians take into account these symptoms and prescribe necessary medicine required to provide relief. In a severe case, some diagnostic tests may also be recommended.
How to Find the Best General Physician near you?
There could be various ways to find out a good general physician nearby. Some of the ways have been mentioned below –
- Ask for referrals – If you are looking for a general physician in the near vicinity, you may ask your friend or relatives to recommend a doctor that they prefer. This not only helps to build trust but also gives you a sense of satisfaction. Moreover, you can freely ask questions about the doctor to ensure if he/she is the kind of doctor you want.
- Go by word-of-mouth – Sometimes you find a lot of people around you talking about the same doctor again and again. This can also be one of the ways to choose a doctor. You can go by the word-of-mouth from your colleagues or neighbours and pay a visit to the recommended doctor.
- Browse online portals – Online portals like docprime are one of the most convenient ways to find out a general physician in the vicinity. You can find all the details about the doctor such as his qualification, expertise and experience. Patients may also read the reviews posted by other patients to have a fair idea about the doctor.
Consult Top General Physician Doctor Online on Docprime
Docprime is an online medical service provider that aims to offer the best medical services to its users. The model of this online platform is to reduce the gap between doctors and patients. The portal allows patients to browse through the website and search for trusted and experienced doctors near to their homes.
What all can be done through docprime?
Docprime allows a user to -
- Book online appointments with the doctors
- Get online medical consultation directly via chat
- Avail discounts on various diagnostic tests
Features of docprime -
- You will find more than 10,000 verified doctors.
- You are free to book an appointment anytime during the day.
- You can chat with the doctors online and get free consultation.
- You can stay assured about your privacy.