A general surgeon is a medical expert who is trained to perform surgeries for various diseases. They also provide preoperative, operative and postoperative care to patients post-surgery. A general surgeon not only performs various surgeries but also treats a wide range of ailments.
A general surgeon has knowledge of emergency and intensive care, metabolism, nutrition, pathology, shock and resuscitation, physiology, immunology, and wound healing.
They are trained to operate on the
- Endocrine System
- Abdomen (such as the pelvis)
- Alimentary Tract (esophagus and related organs)
- Skin and Soft Tissue
The general surgeon also perform surgeries such as
- Pediatric surgery
- Surgical oncology
- Head and neck surgery
- Surgical critical care
- Trauma and burns
- Transplants and vascular surgery
What Does a General Surgeon Treat?
A general surgeon uses various surgical procedures to repair injuries, illnesses and promote healing. They also perform diagnostic tests and prescribe medicines. The common surgeries that a general surgeon performs are as follows:
- Appendectomy: This surgical procedure involves removal of the appendix. The appendix is a small pouch that is connected to the large intestine in the human body. And appendicitis is caused due to the inflammation or an infection in the appendix. Appendectomy is performed to cure appendicitis and is also performed to treat tumors of the appendix.
- Esophageal Surgery: Some of the esophagus related aliments can be treated with medication and some require surgeries. Some of the common esophageal surgeries include:
- Esophagectomy: This surgery is performed to remove the affected part of the esophagus. Generally, doctors perform esophagectomy to treat patients with esophageal cancer.
- Acid Reflux Surgery or Fundoplication: This surgery is performed to treat GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) by tightening and reinforcing the lower esophageal sphincter.
- Excision of an Esophageal Lesion: This surgery is performed to remove leiomyomas, esophageal cysts, and gastrointestinal stromal tumors.
- Colon and Rectal Surgery: A general surgeon performs surgery on the colon and rectum to treat a variety of illnesses such as Crohn’s disease, diverticulitis, bowel obstruction, cancer, and even hemorrhoids. Some of the common colon and rectal surgeries include:
- Colostomy: With this surgical procedure the colon to an external opening in the abdomen called stoma. The surgical procedure depends on the severity of the condition.
- Hemorrhoidectomy:This procedure is performed to remove hemorrhoidectomy or piles. Most hemorrhoids occur due to wrong eating habits and lifestyle changes.
- Cataract Surgery: Most of the general surgeons are trained to perform cataract surgery.It involves the replacement of the lens inside the eyes that has become cloudy.
- Cholecystectomy: This surgery is performed to remove the gall bladder. A gallbladder is removed if there are stones, or in case of infection or cancer.
- Free Skin Graft: This procedure involves the placement of healthy skin from one part of the body to repair lost and damaged skin in another part of the body. This surgery is often performed to treat injuries, burns or to surgically remove the affected part of the skin.
- Mastectomy: It is generally performed to treat breast cancer. The various type of mastectomy includes:
- Total mastectomy or simple mastectomy
- Partial Mastectomyor segmental mastectomy
- Radical mastectomy
- Modified radical mastectomy surgery
Prostatectomy: This surgery is performed on the prostate gland in men. It is required to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia, if it is enlarged or is cancerous.
- Partial Colectomy: During this surgery, a surgeon removes the diseased part of the colon to treatulcerative colitis.
How to Choose the Best General Surgeon Near You?
- See a Registered General Surgeon: Authenticity of a general surgeon is one of the major deciding factors. You can find the best surgeons near you by checking it online on Docprime.
- Compare the Price: Search and compare the price until you are not comfortable with the charges.
- Know the Relevant Area of Expertise: Before going to a general surgeon make sure that he/she has relevant experience and qualification to treat the problem.
- Check Availability: The most prominent consideration while looking for a general surgeon is the availability of the doctor. When you are in pain it is important to get treatment as quickly as possible. In such cases, larger clinics can serve you better.
- Get Referral: You can seek recommendations from your doctor, family, friends etc. You can also find a doctor on Docprime and check the doctors’ experience and credentials before taking an appointment.
- Know Your Insurance Cover: Taking treatment in a hospital that is covered under your health insurance policy will be a wise decision.
Consult Top General Surgeon Near you on Docprime
Docprime is an online healthcare platform that helps patients to consult a doctor online or fix an appointment. It is a one-stop destination to get relevant information about medicines, diseases and various medical conditions. If you are looking for the best general surgeon, you can easily find one on Docprime.