Levoflox 500 is an antibiotic medicine used against various bacterial infections, including Bacterial sinusitis, pneumonia, urinary tract infection and prostatitis.
It is a broad-range antibiotic and a fluoroquinolone anti-bacterial drug which is used to treat infections caused by a broad range of infectious bacteria encountered on a daily basis in today’s day and age.
Levoflox 500 may also be used in combination with other antibiotics to treat certain other bacterial infections including Tuberculosis.
The drug is manufactured by the renowned medicine manufacturer, Cipla Ltd.
Levoflox 500 Tablet contains Levofloxacin, a bactericidal antibiotic drug which decimate the bacterial infection by killing the bacteria from its roots, thus preventing it from recurring in the patients in the near future. It is quite an effective drug and prescribed by numerous doctors to treat their patients.
Levoflox 500 is an antibacterial drug indicated in several bacterial infections. Some of the conditions for which it is prescribed are mentioned below:
- Levofloxacin is used for the treatment of pneumonia.
- Urinary tract infections are treated with this medication.
- It is used in abdominal infections and gastrointestinal tract infections
- Treatment of respiratory tract infections. The drug exhibits enhanced activity against the important respiratory pathogen Streptococcus pneumoniae.
- In the treatment of cellulitis.
- Against bacterial prostatitis.
- It has known to be used against an anthrax infection.
- Management of endocarditis.
- Curing meningitis.
- Treating pelvic inflammatory disease.
- As a cure for traveler’s diarrhea.
- Component of the drug regimen for tuberculosis.
In the case of Levoflox there remains a possibility of several side-effects, which have to be managed in the course of regimen and for a period after adverse effects are typically mild to moderate but sometimes serious reactions to the drug may occur.
Some of the most common side effects of the medicine are listed below:
- Levoflox is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic which is expressly related to musculoskeletal risks.
- Severe allergic reaction called anaphylaxis.
- Hepatotoxicity or Liver injury.
- Seizures and psychiatric effects as it affect the CNS.
- QT interval extension is caused by Levoflox.
- Gastrointestinal effects manifest as nausea, vomiting, and constipation.
- Headache, diarrhea, and insomnia.
- Levofloxacin, owing to its broad spectrum antibiotic nature is associated with Clostridium difficile associated relatively serious condition manifesting as diarrhea.
Take Levoflox 500 as advised by your doctor. Do not attempt to self-medicate with this drug. Do not chew, crush or break the tablet. The tablet should be swallowed whole. You can take it with or without food. Doctors commonly advise to take this drug with water kept at room temperature.
If you miss a dose, then take it as soon as you remember. Missing a dose will make the treatment slow and delayed. The dose must not be doubled in any case as there could be an overdose of the drug which can lead to more harm than good.
Levoflox 500mg Tablet is a broad spectrum antibiotic. It is an effective bactericidal that eliminates the infectious bacteria and deprive them of the caliber to repair. This mechanism curbs the infection completely.
While on Levoflox there are several warnings which must not be unknown to the patient consuming the medication and certain precautions are expected due to several factors that the antibiotic entails. These include:
- The effects have implications on the functioning of tendons, muscles, joints, nerves, and central nervous system. Tendon rupture, the elderly, transplant patients, and those with a current or historical corticosteroid use are at elevated risk.
- Augmentation of the symptoms of myasthenia gravis which is primarily a neurological disease.
- Levoflox has been implicated in blood glucose disturbances, and photosensitivity, in certain cases
Preferred alternatives to Levoflox 500 include:
- Loxof 500mg, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
- Levomac 500mg ,Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Levoday 500mg, Zydus Cadila
- Fynal 500mg , Mankind Pharma Ltd ,
- L-Cin 500 , Lupin Ltd
There are a number of drugs which may interact undesirably with Levoflox 500. It is important for the doctor to be aware of the patient’s ingestion of drugs besides Levoflox such as dietary supplement or herbal medication that the patient could be previously prescribed.
The following medication and conditions may interact with Levoflox 500
- It is notable that when levofloxacin is taken with anti-acids, magnesium hydroxide or aluminum hydroxide, the effects of Levoflox can diminish or get blocked.
- Iron supplements and multi-vitamins containing zinc mimic the same effects associated with zinc and magnesium salts when mixed with Levoflox.
- Any medicine which is used to prolong the QT interval such as common anti-arrhythmic drugs and psychiatric drugs.
- The use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in combination with high dose fluoroquinolone (which Levoflox is) therapy may lead to seizures.
- Patients with history of liver diseases are not recommended to consume this medicine.
- Comorbidity like myasthenia gravis condition indicates that the patient should be directed to a different form of medication.
- Strontium Chloride
Ans: In general Levoflox is not safe for the women who are pregnant and breastfeeding. However, if there is a life threatening condition risk, this medication can be taken after considerable medical deliberation.
Ans: The antibiotics have an adverse effect on microbes like bacteria, fungi but not on viruses. This medicine is not used for viral infections, common cold or flu being one of them. Intake of antibiotic must be strictly scrutinized as its unwarranted or misinformed use can lead to antibiotic resistance in the human body in the long run.
Ans: Though dizziness is one of the most common side effects, the empirical data does not reflect any notable risk reflecting exceptional danger in operating machinery or working in such an environment. Therefore it is not contraindicated that a person should stay away from the operation of heavy machines or for that matter even driving a vehicle.
Ans: No, Levoflox being an antibiotic with no psychotropic effects, does not create dependence.
Get a Free Online Doctor Consultation!
Hi, welcome to docprime. Briefly describe your symptom or health concern (e.g. I have a fever).12:51 AM