Metrogyl 400 comes under the class of antiprotozoal drugs. The function of these drugs is to treat infections in the stomach and genital areas. It is an antibacterial and antifungal tablet which is used in treatment of bacterial and parasitic infections such as the brain infections, infections of reproductive system, infections of gastrointestinal tract, and skin infections. The main salt of the tablet is Metronidazole.
The main salt of Metrogyl 400 is Metronidazole which is an antibiotic drug. It works by killing bacteria and other microorganisms that can cause infections by damaging the DNA. It inhibits the production of the energy of the bacteria and the parasites.
Primarily, Metrogyl 400 is used for treating infections in the body parts such as stomach and genital areas. The other uses are listed below:
Amebiasis is a type of intestinal parasitic infection which is caused by the protozoan Entameoba hystolytica or E. hystolytica. Patients showing symptoms such as loose stool, abdominal cramping, and stomach pain are prescribed Metrogyl 400.
Trichomoniasis is one of the most common sexually transmitted disease (STD). It is also known as Trich. Trich is caused due to an infection by protozoan parasite called Trichomonas vaginalis. The common symptoms include itching and burning inside the genitals, discomfort after urination, and change in discharge from penis/vagina. Metrogyl 400 is prescribed to treat these symptoms.
It is mild infection of the vagina. It is caused due to an imbalance of bacterial flora in the vagina. It usually occurs when women have physical encounters with more than one sexual partner. Metrogyl 400 is prescribed if the patient is showing symptoms such as change in vaginal discharge, burning sensation during urination, and itching around the vagina.
Bacterial infections are generally caused in blood, lungs, and genital areas. It is caused due to the presence of Bacteroides fragillis and Clostridium species. Metrogyl 400 is used to treat the symptoms of bacterial infections such as fever, chills, localised swelling, throat pain, and vomiting.
Metrogyl 400 is prescribed to treat the infections that are generally caused as an after effect of surgery. Metrogyl 400 treats the symptoms such as fever, swelling of the incision, redness, and pain.
For the best and intended results use the metrogyl as prescribed and advised by the doctor. There might be some side effects of the medicine but once the course is complete, they will subside. If the side effects are adverse, medical attention should be taken.
1. Agitation (Severe, Common)
2. Blurred Vision (Severe, Common)
3. Burning or tingling sensation (Severe, Common)
4. Convulsion (Severe, Common)
5. Fever and chills (Severe, Rare)
6. Skin Rash (Severe, Less Common)
7. Vaginal Irritation (Severe, Common)
8. Loss of Appetite (Severe, Rare)
9. Constipation (Severe, Rare)
10. Yellow coloured eyes or skin (Severe, Rare)
11. Abdominal Pain (Minor, Common)
12. Dizziness (Minor, Common)
13. Change in Taste (Minor, Rare)
14. Dry Mouth (Minor, Rare)
The medicine should be taken as per the recommendation of the doctor. However, if a dose is missed it should be taken as soon as possible. If it is time for your next time, then the missed dose should be skipped. Doses should not be doubled just to make up for the missed dose.
If the medicine is taken as per the duration and dosage recommended by the doctor, the chance of overdose is very low. However, if an overdose is suspected emergency medical attention should be practiced.
Metrogyl 400 medicine should be taken as per the recommendation of the doctor in the exact duration and dosage as directed. The whole tablet should be swallowed. The tablet should not be chewed, crushed, or bit. This medicine is intended to be consumed with food. Metrogyl 400 should not be consumed with food items that are antiplatelet in nature such as alfalfa, anise, grape seed, garlic, green tea, turmeric, fenugreek, bilberry and ginger.
Metrogyl 400 comes under the class of antiprotozoal drugs and is used to treat infections caused by bacteria and parasites in the body. It works by inhibiting the production of energy in the body and killing the bacteria and parasites in the body that are responsible for the infection.
- Pregnancy – Consuming Metrogyl 400 in the first trimester of pregnancy is not recommended to treat bacterial vaginosis and trichomoniasis. Metrogyl 400 can be used in the second and third trimester but only if needed and after the consultation of the doctor.
- Breastfeeding – The consumption of this medicine is not recommended in women who are breastfeeding. It has been reported to that this medicine leads to discharge in breast milk. It is necessary to monitor for candida infections and diarrhoea.
- Blood Cell Count – This use of this medicine can lower the blood cell count which results in leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, and bone marrow aplasia. It is important to a keep a check on WBC count, and platelets. If low blood count is suspected, treatment should be discontinued.
- Neurologic Toxicity – The use of this medicine might cause neurological effects such as convulsion and peripheral neuropathy. If any neurological problem arises, it should be reported to the doctor. Symptoms such as convulsion, tingling, and burning sensation should be reported to the doctor.
- Impaired Liver Function – The medicine might result in liver injury. The baseline of liver enzymes should be obtained before initiating the treatment. Signs of elevation of liver enzymes should be reported to the doctor.
If Metrogyl 400 is not available, then alternative substitutes can be taken.
2. Metro 400mg
3. Metropen 400mg
4. Metgyl 400mg
5. Aristogyl 400mg
6. Balgyl 400mg
7. Flagyl 400mg
8. Metron 400mg
9. Metronidazole 400mg
Drugs interact differently for different person to person. Before starting the medicine, you should check the possible interactions with the doctor.
Consumption of alcohol during nitroimidazole therapy may result in disulfiram-like reaction. It is not advised to consume alcohol when taking Metrogyl 400 medicine as it may induce symptoms such as dizziness.
- Warfarin (Severe)
- Ethinyl Estradiol (Moderate)
- Atorvastatin (Moderate)
- Disulfiram (Moderate)
Ans: Metrogyl 400 should be consumed during pregnancy is extremely necessary and only after consulting the doctor.
Ans: It is not recommended to consume Metrogyl 400 during breastfeeding. Please consult the doctor for risks and benefits.
Ans: Yes, Metrogyl 400 is prescribed for infections of stomach and gum and cavities. However, one should consult the doctor before consuming Metrogyl 400 for stomach and gum related infections.
Ans: It has been reported that patients see improvement in their conditions on the same day or after 1 day. This might be different from patient to patient. The duration of the consumption of the medicine should be consulted with the doctor.
Ans: Commonly Metrogyl 400 should be consumed twice or thrice a day, depending on the condition of the patient. Please follow the advice of the doctor regarding the consumption of the medicine.
Ans: It is advised that Metrogyl 400 should be consumed after food. However, it might be different for different patients. Please consult the doctor regarding the same.
Ans: If you are experiencing drowsiness, dizziness, or headache as the side effect of consuming Metrogyl 400, then it is advised not to operate machinery or drive a vehicle. If the blood pressure gets lowered extensively, one should not drive a vehicle. It is also advised not to drink alcohol with this medicine.
Ans: The nature of this medicine has not been reported as addictive. Any medicine that is categorized as controlled substance is labelled as H or X in India. No such indications have been found.
Ans: Some medications have been found to have rebound effect when stopped suddenly. For recommendations specific to your body, health and other medications, please consult your doctor.
Get a Free Online Doctor Consultation!
Hi, Welcome to docprime!5:34 PM
Briefly describe the symptom/health concern worrying you the most (e.g. I have a fever) or simply ask any query.5:34 PM