Oncology is the branch of science that deals with the study of cancer. Oncologists are medical experts (physicians or surgeons) who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. These experts provide extensive medical care to patients suffering from cancer. Oncologists specialize in the carrying out chemotherapy and using medications, hormones and analgesics to manage the disease. The medical experts often coordinate with other specialists to ensure that the patients are given appropriate treatment and care.
What do oncologists treat?
Cancer: Cells are known as the unit of life. Normally, the cells divide to form new cells and die when they are old or damaged. All the signals for cell growth and division are stored in the DNA, when the genetic makeup of the cells is hampered, the cells do not get a signal to stop the division. This uncontrolled division of cells forms tumours. The condition is called cancer. The tumours formed by the uncontrolled growth of the cell can be malignant or benign. Malignant tumours are the ones that are cancerous and have the tendency to spread from one body part to the other. On the other hand, benign tumours are the ones that grow but do not spread.
However, there are certain types of cancers which do not form tumours like leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma.
Types of Cancer
Based on where it began, cancer can be classified into four main types -
- Carcinoma: It is a type of cancer that begins in the cells that make up the lining of the surface of the internal organs and skin. Carcinomas are the most common types of cancer. Some of the examples of carcinomas include breast cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer and colorectal cancer.
- Sarcomas: This type of cancer affects the connective tissues of the body. It causes a problem in the blood vessels, tendons, lymph vessels, cartilage, bones, muscles etc.
- Leukemia: Leukemia is the cancer of the blood. In this condition, blood cells divide uncontrollably. Four main types of leukemia are acute chronic lymphocytic leukemia, lymphocytic leukemia, acute myeloid chronic myeloid leukemia and acute myeloid leukemia.
- Lymphomas: Lymphoma is cancer that begins in the lymphatic system which is a network of vessels and gland that contain lymphatic fluid. There are two major types of lymphomas namely Hodgkin lymphoma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
What are the various types of oncologists?
- Medical Oncologists: The primary job of a medical oncologist is to manage the symptoms of cancer. These experts treat patients using immunotherapy, chemotherapy and targeted therapy. Medical oncologists are responsible for monitoring the improvement of the patient’s condition. They also coordinate with other doctors and specialists to ensure that the patient is getting suitable treatment.
- Surgical Oncologists: They are the physicians who diagnose and treat cancer with the help of surgical procedures. They carry out biopsies to examine the removed tissue and determine the presence or absence of cancer.
- Radiation Oncologists: They are specialized in treating cancer with the help of radiation therapy. This therapy uses X-rays to kill the cancer cells. The radiologists first map the cancer cells in the body and then use their software to target the radiation in the affected area.
- Gynecologic oncologists: They focus primarily on the cancers pertaining to female reproductive organs (ovaries, uterus and cervix).
- Pediatric oncologists: They specialize in treating cancer of the children and adolescents. A pediatric oncologist may be radiation, surgical or a medical oncologist.
How to find the best oncologist near you?
- Take referrals from friends and relatives – To begin their search, people may start asking for referrals from their relatives and close ones. If anyone of their relatives has been to an oncologist and has observed improvement in the patient’s condition, it is wise to go and consult the expert.Consulting a doctor that has been referred by a dear one offers a sense of trust.
- Make use of Google – A person may simply type “oncologist near me” in Google and many results will appear on the screen. The person may choose from the list of doctors that appears and check their rating for more clarity. Also, the links to the websites of the doctors are displayed which makes it easy for people to read about their expertise and experience.
- Consider using online platforms – Online portal such as docprime make it very easy for the users to find an oncologist nearby. The user just needs to enter the query in the website and many results will appear depending upon the location selected by the user. The user may choose to visit the profile of the doctor and read about his/her qualification, expertise and experience. Also, if the user wishes to book an appointment that could be done in a few clicks.
Consult top oncologists online on docprime:
docprime is an online platform that provides the best health care services to its users. The portal has all the data that an individual would require with respect to different medical conditions and medicinal drugs. If an individual needs to undergo some diagnostic tests, he/she may enter a query to look for the close-by labs as well. For patients who do not have time to visit a specialist can get a free medical consultation by means of an online conversation. Likewise, there is no reason to stress over the privacy of data entered by the patient. docprime is associated with around 25, 000 doctors and specialists, who are connected effectively through the online stage. The online portal additionally gives rewarding discounts on different diagnostic tests and on booking of online appointments. A patient should simply, visit the site, set the location, chose from specialists or tests and tap on book an appointment. The process is easy and hassle-free.
Every single doctor associated with docprime has a profile that involves his/her expertise and experience. For the comfort of the patients and to guarantee that they are being referred to a good oncologist, they may read the reviews posted by other patients.
Advantages of using docprime –
- Book hassle-free online appointments
- Get free online consultation via chat
- Get lucrative discounts and offers on diagnostic tests
- Be assured of the privacy