Psychologists are health professionals who specialize in the treatment of problems related to mental health and human behaviour. The top psychologists primarily aid the patients by performing psychotherapy and counseling; however, these professionals do not prescribe medicines. Some psychologists work independently while the others may work as a part of the healthcare team or collaborate with physicians and social workers. The best psychologists collect information through interviews, observations, surveys, tests and other methods. They ask questions that help them to comprehend the mental condition of the patient.
What do Psychologists treat?
Some of the most common conditions treated by psychologists are -
- Depression - Depression is a mental disorder in which a patient feels sad for a prolonged period and is unable to enjoy even the things that he liked the most. Other symptoms of depression include low energy, irritation, difficulty in sleeping, suicidal thoughts etc.
- Anxiety - Feeling anxious is normal. A person may feel very anxious before giving an exam, going for an interview or due to other reasons. Anxiety sometimes helps people to perform better. However, if a person feels anxious all the time and without any particular reason, it may be a sign of an anxiety disorder. When anxiety becomes overwhelming, it hampers the ability of a person to think clearly and affects his/her day to day life.
- Addiction - An addiction is a health disorder characterized by the need to do something even if it harms the person itself. The most common types of addictions are gambling, alcohol, drugs and tobacco. Addiction can take over a person's life and leave them helpless. A psychologist may help the patient to manage the problem and aid in its recovery.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) - This is a mental problem that usually occurs when a patient has been exposed to life-threatening and overwhelming situations. Some of the events that lead to PTSD may include witnessing a natural calamity, sexual assault, murder, domestic violence, war etc.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) - The condition is characterized by a compulsive need to do something. These compulsions make a person feel less guilty for a short period of time. Some of the most commonly felt compulsions are to clean, count, pray etc.
- Personality disorders - A personality disorder makes it difficult for a person to feel comfortable in themselves. The patients are unable to control their emotions and impulses.
- Eating disorders - The condition refers to an abnormal pattern of eating and exercising that severely interferes with a person’s daily life. In this, a patient may eat very less food or too much food in an uncontrolled manner. Some of the most common eating disorders include Anorexia nervosa, binge eating disorder, bulimia nervosa etc.
- Bipolar disorder - It is a serious mental health condition characterized by episodes of mood change. The psychological disorder affects people's mood and interferes with their ability to conduct day to day activities.
- Schizophrenia - It is a mental illness where the patient is unable to differentiate between what is real and unreal. Patients suffering from schizophrenia often feel tensed and isolated. They may see and listen to people who do not even exist.
How to get the most out of psychological treatment?
- The patients must speak honestly to the psychologist
- It is important to give feedback on the treatment
- The patient must ask questions and be interactive
- No appointments should be missed
Types of psychological treatment offered-
The best psychologists offer various treatments such as -
- Cognitive analytic therapy
- Cognitive behaviour therapy
- Dialectical behaviour therapy
- Group therapy
- Interpersonal therapy
- Motivational interviewing
- Supportive psychotherapy
- Acceptance and commitment therapy
- Metallization-based therapy
How to Find the Best Psychologists near you?
- Ask friends and family - If a person's family member of a friend has consulted a psychologist before, he may ask them for a referral. Going to a doctor who has been already visited by someone known to you is always a good idea.
- Use a doctor as a resource - Family doctors or any other health professional one knows can refer the patient to a good psychologist.
- Use the internet- If a person simply types type "psychologists near me" on Google, many results will appear on the screen. The person may see the ratings, reviews and even the distance from his/her residence. Google also provides a link to the doctor’s website if any.
- Make use of other online platforms - Online platform such as docprime can be one of the most efficient ways to find the best psychologist nearby. The patient may simply log on to the website, select the area and search the doctor he/she is looking for. Many results matching the search will be displayed; the patient may then look at each doctor’s profile and take a decision.
Consult Top Psychologists Near You on docprime
If you are looking for a good psychologist near you, then docprime has all the answers. This online portal has been specifically made to bridge the gap between the therapists and the patients. It is one place where you can find all the information pertaining to medical conditions, diseases and medicines. docprime is a platform that offers the best medical services at the doorsteps. People may consult a doctor of their preferred choice in just a few clicks.
Advantages of using docprime –
docprime ensures that people get better healthcare services and easy access to country's best doctors. Along with this, the platform offers various additional benefits such as -
- Free membership
- Very low response time
- Discounts on online booking
- Free online doctor consultation
- On-demand online consultation
- Lucrative discounts on lab tests and health packages
At present, docprime is present in more than 12 Indian states and 34 Indian cities. More than 25,000 doctors are currently available on the docprime’s platform. The aim is to cover 100 Indian cities by the end of 2019.