Kidneys perform the important functions of filtering out impurities from the blood and maintain water and salt balance in the body. A Renal Function Test (RFT) Mini is carried out to assess the overall health of the kidneys. Patients suffering from diabetes may take it as a preventive screening test to ensure the optimal functioning of kidneys
Why get tested?
RFT mini test helps in –
• Early detection of renal diseases
• Calibrating dosage of several drugs which end up being metabolized in kidneys
• Indicating appropriate time for starting dialysis
• Assessing kidney transplant possibility if required
What it measures?
The RFT mini test assesses the kidney health to identify whether the kidneys are working efficiently. The test ensures that the kidneys are producing the optimal amount of vitamin D, red blood cells, and hormones that regulate blood pressure and filter out nitrogenous waste from the blood. RFT Mini also measures the Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR) which indicates kidney’s efficiency of filtering out impurities.
This test includes
Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN)
Serum Uric Acid
• The doctor may advise patients to fast 6 to 8 hours of fasting before taking the test.
• Patients must inform the doctor about any ongoing medicine to prevent falsified results of the test.