Sompraz 40 mg tablet is used to treat gastric problems, including acidity, heartburn and ulcers in the stomach. It is also used in the treatment of Gastroesophageal reflux disease. It is classified as a proton pump inhibitor. Sompraz 40 mg tablet is manufactured by Sun Pharmaceuticals India Limited.
Sompraz tablet contains 40 mg of Esomeprazole. Esomeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor.
- Sompraz tablet is used to treat duodenal (intestinal) and gastric (stomach) ulcers, and ulcers caused by stress or various medicines like pain medications.
- Sompraz tablet is commonly used for the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease, in which excess bile causes irritation in the esophagus or food pipe.
- Sompraz tablet is also used to treat Erosive Esophagitis, by treating ulcers caused by severe and chronic acidity.
- Sompraz 40 mg tablet may also be used in the treatment of Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome, in which tumors in the small intestine increase acid production.
- Sompraz tablet is also used to treat helicobacter pylori infection, a common cause of ulcers and inflammation in the stomach and intestines.
Sompraz 40 mg tablet may have some side effects. However, their occurrence is not guaranteed as it depends on person to person.
- Some common and possible side effects of this medicine are headache, nausea, constipation or diarrhea, pain in the abdominal area and flatulence (gas).
- Sompraz 40 mg tablet may cause a decreased appetite, weakness, or fever.
- This medicine may also cause skin rashes, difficulty in breathing, an irregular heartbeat and swelling of the face, hands, and feet.
This is not a complete list of side effects. If you experience these effects in a severe manner, or for a prolonged period of time, inform your doctor immediately.
Sompraz tablet should be taken at the time and for the duration prescribed by your doctor. The tablet has to be swallowed whole, and should not be broken, crushed or chewed. This medicine must be taken on an empty stomach.
It is advised to continue the prescribed course of the medicine and to not stop it once you feel better. If you happen to miss a dose of this tablet, take it as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and consume the next scheduled dose.
Sompraz tablet contains esomeprazole, which is a proton pump inhibitor. This medicine operates by decreasing the production of acid in the stomach, which treats gastric disorders like acidity, heartburn and ulcers.
There are some precautions and warnings which must be kept in mind while consuming Sompraz 40 mg tablet. These include:
- The interaction of alcohol with Sompraz is not known. As such, caution should be exercised when consuming the medicine with alcohol.
- Sompraz tablet should be used with caution during pregnancy, as the medicine may have some unwanted effects on the fetus. Discuss the risks and benefits of using Sompraz with your doctor.
- Sompraz tablet is safe to be used during lactation. Research has shown that the medicine does not have any effects on the baby if it passes into the breast milk.
- This medicine is safe to use when driving or operating heavy machinery.
- Patients with kidney diseases can use this medicine safely.
- Patients with liver diseases can use this medicine, after dose adjustment. However, those with severe problems are advised not to use this medicine.
- Taking Sompraz 40 mg tablet for a very long duration may weaken the immune system, making the patient vulnerable to infections and skin disorders.
- Sompraz tablet may cause severe diarrhea. Inform your doctor if you experience chronic diarrhea.
- Sompraz tablet may decrease magnesium levels in the blood. It is advised to take regular blood tests.
- Sompraz tablet should not be taken by those with osteoporosis, as it reduces the calcium levels in the body. Taking supplements with Sompraz is advised to prevent weakening of bones.
- Prolonged use of Sompraz tablet may reduce the absorption of Vitamin B-12. It is recommended to take supplements.
Other medicines can be used in place of Sompraz 40 mg tablet. Some of these substitutes:
- Nexpro 40 mg tablet: It is manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited and has the same ingredients and effects as Sompraz 40 mg tablet.
- Neksium 40 mg tablet:This tablet is manufactured by AstraZeneca and has the same composition and uses as Sompraz 40 mg tablet.
- Esomac 40 mg tablet: It is manufactured by Cipla Limited and has the same ingredients and effects as Sompraz 40 mg tablet.
- Raciper 40 mg tablet: This tablet is manufactured by Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries Limited and has the same composition and uses as Sompraz 40 mg tablet.
There are some products, medications and medical conditions that may not interact well with Sompraz 40 mg tablet. Some of these are:
- Medicines that contain Ritonavir, Indinavir and Nelfinavir do not interact well with Sompraz 40 mg tablet.
- Anti-fungal medicines containing Ketoconazole should not be used with Sompraz tablet.
- Medicines that prevent clotting in the blood like Clopidogrel should not be used with Sompraz tablet.
- Medicines like Methotrexate should not be used with Sompraz tablet as they will not interact well.
- Medications that treat cardiac problems like Digoxin do not interact well with Sompraz tablet.
- Patients with severe liver diseases should not use this medicine.
- Patients with osteoporosis are advised not to use this medicine, as Sompraz may further weaken the bones.
- It is advised that patients inform their doctor of their use of Sompraz when taking a neuroendocrine or carcinoid tumor test, as the medicine may affect the results.
Ans: Yes. It is safe to use Sompraz 40 mg tablet with birth control medications as non harmful interactions have been found.
Ans: Sompraz 40 mg tablet may lead to a decreased appetite, which may lead to an associated fall in weight.
Ans: Yes, Sompraz tablet may be used during dialysis. However, consult your doctor before doing so.
Get a Free Online Doctor Consultation!
Hi, welcome to docprime. Briefly describe your symptom or health concern (e.g. I have a fever).2:41 AM