The test measures the level of this Vitamin B 12 in the blood. This vitamin plays a vital role in the formation of red blood cells (RBCs), functioning of the brain and in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats as well as proteins.
Why get tested?
This test helps to identify the levels of Vitamin B12 in the body. Fluctuating levels of this vitamin may be a sign of various diseases and conditions such as -
• Liver diseases
• Certain types of leukemia
• Pernicious anemia
The test may also be conducted to diagnose the condition pertaining to the following symptoms -
• Tingling sensation in hand and feet
• Problems with balance
• Racing heartbeat
• Loss of appetite
What it measures?
This test will measure the level of the following compounds -
• Overall vitamin B-12
• Methylmalonic Acid (MMA)
• Holotranscobalamin (Holotc)
This test includes
• The doctor may advise patients to fast 6 to 8 hours of fasting before taking the test.
• Patients must inform the doctor about any ongoing medicine to prevent falsified results of the test.
• The doctor may advise the patient to avoid drugs containing estrogens, vitamin A and vitamin C as they may affect test results.